Annurcomplex®: what it is
An extract of Annurca apples that’s good for your heart. And more.
Annurca apples are a variety of apples particularly beneficial to the body. In addition to being a source of vitamins and minerals, this red apple is also rich in polyphenols.
Polyphenols are natural antioxidants, which act to contrast oxidative stress by blocking the action of free radicals, and have multiple beneficial properties, such as:
- anti-inflammatory and anti-infective
- protection against cardiac and neurological problems
- cerebrovascular protection
- anti-diabetic action
- anti-asthmatic and hypertension
- anti-aging action
- osteal protection.
Good habits for a healthy life
Epidemiological studies indicate a possible correlation between diet and the development of chronic illnesses.
A healthy diet based on fruit and vegetables is fundamental, because it provides an optimal intake of carbohydrates (especially starch and fiber) and other nutrients like vitamins and minerals (potassium, magnesium and calcium), while reducing the amount of calories assumed thanks both to the limited quantities of calories and fats the ingredients of the diet contain and the highly satiating properties of these foods.
Eating right and a healthy lifestyle are fundamental habits..
At this point, the positive effects of a diet that includes plenty of fruit and vegetables are well known: a person who consumes between 4 and 5 portions of fruit per day can reduce levels of total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (“bad” cholesterol) and lower their arterial blood pressure. Moreover, fresh fruit and vegetables also have a positive effect on the gastrointestinal mucosa.
These effects have been attributed to the nutritional fiber and antioxidants they contain, and particularly to the phenolic compounds.
Annurca apples: a fruit with many properties
Apples are very good for your health: their reputation is due to their content, rich in fiber and phytochemical compounds such as flavonoids, polyphenols and carotenoids. Among the nutrients contained in apples there is a sugar, fructose, that can increase triglyceride levels.
Several factors combine to determine the importance of apples, among which their availability on market shelves year-round in a variety of formats: fresh apples, apple juice, cider and apple sauce.
In addition to having beneficial effects on reducing lipidemia (the level of fats in the blood) and related metabolic problems, eating apples has been associated with anti-aging effects and a lessening of the risk of fairly common conditions such as asthma and diabetes. The phytochemical compounds (natural, non-nutritive substances of plant origin, like quercetin and catechin) found in apples have manifested powerful antioxidant action in laboratory tests.
Unlike processing methods, which can have important effects on the composition of the final product, the methods used to preserve products made with apples have little or no effect on the phytochemical compounds.
The phytochemical composition can be quite different, depending on the variety and the ripeness of the fruit: in fact, different varieties of apples have been shown to contain different quantities of polyphenols. Among the many varieties, the one that tested highest in polyphenol content was a local product: Annurca apples, native to Southern Italy.
It is precisely from Annurca apples that a polyphenolic extract is made and used as a nutritional supplement to contrast high LDL cholesterol levels in the blood. It is called Annurcomplex®: let’s find out more about it.
Annurcomplex®: what it is
Annurcomplex® is a dried extract of IGP Annurca apples from the Campania region (Malus pumila Miller cultivar Annurca), a widely appreciated variety of apples that is cultivated with care in various areas of the Campania region.
This nutraceutic substance was the subject of a recent study conducted by scientists whose curiosity was piqued by several studies that found that apples, and particularly Annurca apples, had positive effects on controlling cholesterol.
A study conducted by the Federico II University of Naples found that in healthy subjects with average levels of hypercholesterolemia improved their cholesterol levels (both total and LDL). In light of these results, dietary supplements were realized, in capsule form, containing polyphenolic extracts of Annurca apples.
The solution extracted from the apples is frozen for 24 hours at -20 °C to eliminate the sugar, then centrifuged and dried. The powder thus obtained is packed in gastro-resistant caps (in order to withstand the corrosive effect of stomach acids).
Taking two caps per day of this dietary supplement containing a polyphenolic extract of Annurca apples will result, in a month’s time, in the following improvements:
- reduction in LDL cholesterol
- reduction in total cholesterol
- increase in HDL cholesterol (“good” cholesterol).
The action mechanism hypothesized for the polyphenolic extract of Annurca apples is twofold: reduction in the synthesis of cholesterol and its absorption.
Benefits of Annurcomplex® for diabetics
In addition to its effect on controlling cholesterol, the study conducted on the polyphenolic extract of Annurca apples also found no effect on glycemia levels.
However, if you have diabetes, it is prudent to consult your physician if you intend to use dietary supplements.
- Boyer J, Liu RH. Nutr J. 2004; 3:5.
- Consorzio di tutela melannurca campana IGP Comunicato Stampa n. 2 dell’8 giugno 2015. Disponibile al link https://www.nurvast.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Comunicato-Consorzio-di-tutela-Mea-Annurca-Campana-IGP.pdf
- Documento di consenso e raccomandazioni per la prevenzione cardiovascolare in Italia 2018. G. Ital Cardiol. 18 (1); 2018. Disponibile al link: http://www.giornaledicardiologia.it/r.php?v=2874&a=28988&l=333526&f=allegati/02874_2018_02/fulltext/GIC%20Supplemento%201%20n2-2018.pdf
- Ganesan K, Xu B. Nutrients. 2017;9(5). pii: E455.
- Graziani G, D’Argenio G, Tuccillo C, et al. Gut. 2005;54(2):193-200.
- Ministero delle Politiche Agricole e Forestali – Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca per gli Alimenti e la Nutrizione (INRAN). Linee guida per una sana alimentazione italiana. disponibile al link: http://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_pubblicazioni_652_allegato.pdf
- Ministero della Salute. Linee guida dietetiche per la prevenzione dell’aterosclerosi e delle malattie cardiovascolari. Disponibile al link: http://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_pubblicazioni_1097_allegato.pdf
- Santini A and Novellino E. Br J Pharmacol. 2017;174(11):1450-1463.
- Stirpe M, Palermo V, Binachi MM, et al. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2017;17:200.
- Tenore GC, Caruso D, Buonono G et al. J Sci Food Agric. 2016. wileyonlinelibrary.com/jsfa
- Tenore GC, Caruso D, Buonomo G, et al. J Med Food. 2017;20(3):288-300.
- Vafa MR, Haghighatjoo E, Shidfar F, et al. Int J Prev Med. 2011 Apr;2(2):94-100.